Friday, May 25, 2007

Summer in Tuscany

I rarely spend Summers in Tuscany. From June to the end of August Florence is the hottest city in Italy along with Bologna. I have been living in Vancouver, Canada for the last 30 years or so, so the heat of Tuscan Summers is not something I am used to. I usually go to Tuscany in the middle September, or sometimes in April, end of May at the latest. Tuscan Summers remain in my childhood memory: time at the beach in Marina di Pisa with my cousin Silvia, mushrooms hunting with grandma late august in the Pineta. September is still Summer enough for me. The sun is still hot and the light still intense. Sunflowers are past their prime but still colorful.
This painting is of a field near Siena, at the end of September.
Oil on canvas size 24x30" .
It can be seen and purchased at Buckland Southerst Gallery in Vancouver in a few days.

No comments: