Monday, April 30, 2007

This small house

Mary, the owner of the gallery where I show my work, suggested we sell our house and move near her so she can watch my painting progress. In the last couple of years house prices in downtown Vancouver have doubled in value so I could sell my home at a nice profit and move to West Vancouver near Mary. A good proposition. Mary and her partner Richard are great friends and wonderful people. They also love my cooking ...hmmm, I think her proposition may have an ulterior motive....

We have been living in this small house in the heart of the city for 30 years. This is the only house our daugher has known. We have planted a garden, painted walls, installed cotto tiles, extended decks, create new spaces ( my studio in one of those). There is a small 9x7' shed called "Casa Fiorita" under the old apple tree. That's Francesca's house, built by her dad when she was 5 years old. It has leaded glass windows and flower boxes. Francesca does not play in it anymore but is a great place for occasional summer afternoons naps.This house has changed, expanded, grown with us. Thirty years of memories are difficult to let go of especially when years past are many more than years to come.We are not movers, we are settlers.

No comments: