Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Early morning in the Olive grove

This is one of my favorite and recurrent images. A path through trees with long shadows that happen only in early mornings or late afternoons.
This painting is 30x30" one of the largest sizes I have ever painted. Most of it is painted using a #4 bristle flat brush, a small brush for such a large painting!
I worked on this piece in stages waiting for the paint to dry before applying other layers of color. Unusual for me an "alla prima" painter, an impatient and impulsive painter.
I think this painting is quite successful. I like the light in it and the variation in the large areas of color.I like the trees foliage and the impressionistic foreground. I am also happy with the shape on the main tree trunk. I think it gives the piece a certain tension and expressive quality.
This painting is on display at Buckland Southerst Gallery , West Vancouver.


Your comments and criticism are welcome!
Sold October 2007 at Buckland Southerst Gallery, West Vancouver.

2 comments:

Kelwhy said...

I can see why that would be one of your favorites. I love it. I love the trunk of the tree, the shadows falling across the path - and wondering what might lie at the end of that path.

Very nice. enjoy Florence.

Just stumbled upon this blog and found your artwork beautiful. Wanted to let you know.

Rita Monaco said...

Thanks kelwhy!
I am glad you like this painting.
It's always nice when someone comments on my work... especially when the post is positive.