Sunday, August 12, 2007

Summer at Greve

I paint everyday. There are days when I say to myself "today I will do something different". It could be something as simple as using a new color, or choosing a different subject or a pick up different size brush. I am not the kind of painter that uses a brush for every color. Although I have a few hundreds brushes all ready and willing, I end up using a couple of brushes from beginning to end, maybe three, when I want to feel fancy. Drawing being more familiar to me that painting I never got used to switching brushes like many artists do. I take a "stick" dip it in color and ..go. Consequently the kind of brush I use affects the look of the piece as much as color and composition do.
For this painting choose a small stiff brush (size#4 quite stiff) that I would not normally use in a painting this size. I liked the intricacy of the vegetation and wanted to show it as the main subject of the painting.

"Summer at Greve, Tuscany" oil on canvas size 16x20".

No comments: